Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The Sewing experiments

This post is going to look like it doesn't belong in this blog, but people are diverse creatures. This is the same person that once did computer programming, 3D graphics and reads a lot of science fiction.

I guess you could say I am a strange personality type -

Since we moved to the South, I've been trying to find out what to do with myself. I've taken up a very 'conventional' but also very challenging task of sewing some clothes for us.

This started because I found some 1960s patterns at a thrift store for less than 10 cents each.
Altering patterns that are not exactly your size, actual construction and getting a store-quality garment is a difficult task. It takes patience, fine work and attention to detail. It reminds me of the work I learned studying printmaking in art school.

I have already completed two dresses in two weeks, with various found fabrics. The fitting problems were overcome and they both fit. They both passed the 'wear this in public' test. Whether they hold up in the washing machine is round 3.

JB's shirt is next. I have all but the sleeves done this week. The area by the cuff is extremely difficult to construct cleanly. I have a vintage pattern coming off Ebay sometime soon to help with this.

My other vintage 1956 sewing pattern came in the mail this morning. Everything in mint condition. I'm going to have to try altering that one and making the jacket in it after this shirt is finished.

Looking up sources for linen and silk on the internet. Read somewhere that the silk might need a special foot to sew.

In other news we got two new kittens, sisters out of the same litter. They have been with us about 3 weeks. JB says I 'keep them out of danger' too much... kittens can live sheltered lives, who knew? Willow is a grey tiger and Sally is dark with white socks and a white chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home