Friday, July 08, 2005

How to Live with a Vegan and not Starve

Warning : Vegan recipe and rant to follow

VEGAN RECIPE :

Anasazi beans - 1 cup soaked overnight
1/2 of a small onion
3 small tomatoes from garden and 1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 can of corn kernels
1 small green pepper from garden
1 garlic clove finely minced
lots of oregano, basil and rosemary
bottled chil powder, 2 tbsp (a lot)
garlic salt (a little)
4 tbsp of olive oil (yes, a lot)

I wokked all of that (beans first and longest(~30-45 min)) together until the beans were soft and the liquid reduced quite almost all the way. Dished it up in two bowls and served sweetened (him more than me) iced tea with it.

RANT
I am wondering today how I can continue to live with my vegan DH ;o) and not starve. There are no articles about it out there in the great web of the Internet, that I have found. Now that our garden is coming in we have plenty of food, but I have little weight to spare losing.

When JB became vegan (two years ago in October) I'll admit I weighed 25 more pounds than I do right now. I wasn't overweight then - and I am underweight now if you believe the height-weight charts.

That leaves me eating most of what he eats but not all of it -- and I must be lacking in something. I also naturally don't eat a large volume of food...never have. I wasn't the type of person who eats meat daily - but I did depend on milk, cheese, eggs and occasional small portions of chicken in my diet. The food we eat now is low in calories and high in bulk. He gets 3/4 of the pan of food, and I take 1/4. He is 6'4" and eats a whole lot more than I do. I would buy more high calorie or non-vegan foods, but our agreed-upon budget already contains allowances for the high cost of some of the foods he does eat. I also feel guilty buying something he can't eat. I do keep eggs in the house and go through a dozen in about two weeks.

Soy milk costs more than a gallon of milk for a quart. I drink it, but not a lot of it. It makes a good coffee creamer, okay over cereal. I learned how to bake all over again. The loss of butter for olive oil, milk for soy milk and flaxseed for eggs really changes the entire chemistry of cooking. Recipes have to be 'played with' until they work again.

To top it off he also won't eat other things that would be good for him, that I would eat. He dislikes peanut butter, bananas, eggplant, black beans, oatmeal and a certain type of squash.

I'm still trying to live with my vegan and not starve. We'll see if I survive the next wind that comes over ;o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home